The Songs...

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
Bigval
Beanerwop

The Songs...

Post by Bigval »

that have awesome drumming that make you want to :aargh: fucking rock out or get on the kit and master the song. There are some whole songs or certain parts that have badass drumming, Name some.

One song is Dream Theater's Under A Glass Moon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJVQP108eM4

:aargh: :tup:
[21:29] utsadeli: i thought this chick i used to work with mexican i talked to her in spanish
[21:29] utsadeli: untill she told me she was hawaiian and i was like oh schitt my bad lol
[21:29] utsadeli: that went on for 2 months
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

I think that Images and Words has one of the best sounding production for drums on any album. It's amazing, especially considering it was made so long ago.

Also, an amazing song.
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

Portnoy has said he hates the way his drums sound on those early albums because of the triggers.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

Ha. That's interesting. The first thing i thought about IaW was how awesome the drums sounded. That was back when i was first getting into them.
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
Wrona
Mouth For War

Post by Wrona »

Anything Scott Travis... Dude is so under-rated.
Tweel
I will fuck you up

Post by Tweel »

Jean Paul Gaster
Fuck Ole Miss
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

And thread.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Triggered-sounding drums don't make me want to rock out on a kit. They make me want to have a bowel movement.

Lots of Led Zeppelin gets me on the kit more than anything. Bonham. :tup:
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

The Mars Volta - Jon Theodore did some amazing stuff on Deloused and Jon Prigden, their new drummer, sounds pretty awesome from what I've heard. I'm looking forwards to the new album :aargh:
Bigval
Beanerwop

Post by Bigval »

Pfl?yd wrote:Triggered-sounding drums don't make me want to rock out on a kit. They make me want to have a bowel movement.

Well shit, I'm not just saying how it sounds, but the patterns used too. :roll: You sound Doc-ish now.
[21:29] utsadeli: i thought this chick i used to work with mexican i talked to her in spanish
[21:29] utsadeli: untill she told me she was hawaiian and i was like oh schitt my bad lol
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Bigval wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:Triggered-sounding drums don't make me want to rock out on a kit. They make me want to have a bowel movement.

Well shit, I'm not just saying how it sounds, but the patterns used too. :roll: You sound Doc-ish now.
I think the sound is just as important, really. I mean, does hearing a breakcore beat inspire you to play drums?

I just tend to think all these modern albums where everyone is triggering everything and using Beat Detective and Pro-Tools to make it perfectly in time destroys the whole sense of groove that I like in a lot of the older stuff. Music, by nature, is not metronomic; why make it sound like it?
Bigval
Beanerwop

Post by Bigval »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Bigval wrote:

I think the sound is just as important, really. I mean, does hearing a breakcore beat inspire you to play drums?

I just tend to think all these modern albums where everyone is triggering everything and using Beat Detective and Pro-Tools to make it perfectly in time destroys the whole sense of groove that I like in a lot of the older stuff. Music, by nature, is not metronomic; why make it sound like it?
I think a breakdown would pump me up to jump on my kit.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

P.S. I think Portnoy, while certainly technically capable, is one of the most soulless-sounding drummers ever. Even when DT does covers it's like they suck all fun out of the original and then fuck the empty husk.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Bigval wrote:
Pfl?yd wrote:
Bigval wrote:

I think a breakdown would pump me up to jump on my kit.
Some of that stuff can inspire, but it tends to be very rarely. Its like hearing Victor Wooten play a solo. It's cool to hear, but it doesn't make me want to pick up my bass.
Bigval
Beanerwop

Post by Bigval »

Pfl?yd wrote:P.S. I think Portnoy, while certainly technically capable, is one of the most soulless-sounding drummers ever. Even when DT does covers it's like they suck all fun out of the original and then fuck the empty husk.
soul-less? ouch.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I like Portnoy's early stuff but I think he's becoming stale over time. I really hate his personality on the DT DVDs and whatever else though. I couldn't be in a band with that guy.
Bigval
Beanerwop

Post by Bigval »

BassPhemy wrote:I like Portnoy's early stuff but I think he's becoming stale over time. I really hate his personality on the DT DVDs and whatever else though. I couldn't be in a band with that guy.
Don't worry about it. You'll never be in a band with Portnoy. A guy who is a extreme fan boy of Mike maybe.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

BassPhemy wrote:I like Portnoy's early stuff but I think he's becoming stale over time. I really hate his personality on the DT DVDs and whatever else though. I couldn't be in a band with that guy.
I play drums with a guy now who replaced Portnoy in some old band in NYC when Portnoy left to go to college.

That's all I got.
warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Pfl?yd wrote:
Bigval wrote:

I definitely agree. I don't want my music to sound like it was programmed on a computer, I want it to sound organic and live.
Jebodiah
Bullfrog

Re: The Songs...

Post by Jebodiah »

One Man Ghetto
ihsahn_disciple10
Professional Dick

Post by ihsahn_disciple10 »

Anything off of Immolation's 'Close To A World Below', Alex Marquez uses such tasteful patternwork for such speeds...the man's SUCH a fucking BEAST...

RandomRussianDude wrote: with a retarded, dancing nigger
Mad Muir
Dick Dangler

Post by Mad Muir »

Anything related to
Danny Carey
Matt Cameron
Jimmy Chamberlain

Really dig their styles, yo
Just because I can't crawl inside you it doesn't mean I'm not your parasite.
ron c nigbur
I will fuck you up

Post by ron c nigbur »

"not art"
Sky Black
Veganazi

Post by Sky Black »

ihsahn_disciple10 wrote:Anything off of Immolation's 'Close To A World Below', Alex Marquez uses such tasteful patternwork for such speeds...the man's SUCH a fucking BEAST...
That does rule but Alex Marquez wasn't on that album. He is a great drummer and has been on some very cool records in any case though.
billlawry wrote:it was only a matter of time until someone called you a piss drinker.
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Vinnie paul on power metal. so organic and raw
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?
ihsahn_disciple10
Professional Dick

Post by ihsahn_disciple10 »

Sky Black wrote:
ihsahn_disciple10 wrote:Anything off of Immolation's 'Close To A World Below', Alex Marquez uses such tasteful patternwork for such speeds...the man's SUCH a fucking BEAST...
That does rule but Alex Marquez wasn't on that album. He is a great drummer and has been on some very cool records in any case though.
Damn it Sky. :x...but thanks for pointing it out..
I meant Alex Hernandez. Marquez drummed with Malevolent Creation.
RandomRussianDude wrote: with a retarded, dancing nigger
JesseJames
Natural Born Badass

Post by JesseJames »

Oh, and vinnie paul on power metal, shit's so raw.
Tyson wrote:How many votes did you ever get in the PBB awards for being the funniest poster?