I'm going to be saving money for a bass rig

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

I'm going to be saving money for a bass rig

Post by hektik »

I've been looking at a lot of ampeg stuff, what do you guys reconmend? I want at least 1000 watts of power! :aargh: :aargh: :aargh: :aargh:
aggressor_27 wrote:Shut the fuck up, foreigner. With your fingers.
AlabamaRedneck
Lynch Mob

Post by AlabamaRedneck »

That's a lot of powurz thurr hektik. :shock:
CobraGT508 88 (4:32:07 AM): on a scale of 1-10, how tall is a goat with credit card eyes?
rebelextravagant (4:32:15 AM): 27%
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Yes, it is. I want to destroy!
Grimlock
Russian Roulette

Post by Grimlock »

Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head and a PR-410HLF Cab..
Real expensive, but I've played through this rig (except with two of those cabinets) and it sounded amazing, very warm and full.
Ampegs are kind of known for a little fuzz in their tone, obviously that can be rectified with EQ, but I personally like the fuzz.

I'm torn between that exact setup myself, or a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and some Schroeder cabinets. (Check out Schroeder if you have never heard of them, they are turning the bass world upside down right now, small packages with huge power handling and great tone.)
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

Will do, anyone else have any info?
Metallash
Hail Dimebag

Post by Metallash »

if you cant afford an ampeg cabinet, theres a box called the sansamp bass driver, its got a preset that models itself on the ampeg SVT amps, and people have said it does actually sound a lot like it. for your rig make sure you have a good EQ box and a compression pedal.
"What'chu doin in mah house?...........eating a big ass Sandwich n shit?"
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

If you don't play fairly large venues, 1000watts of power is a waste of money, and your ability to hear.
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

croninburg wrote:If you don't play fairly large venues, 1000watts of power is a waste of money, and your ability to hear.
pussy
[quote="Buddy"]alfie you have to believe me![/quote]
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

1000 watts is underdoing it. If and when I join a band I want to be more than prepared, also there's nothing wrong with having a nice sound :)
scorn
ok
Location: i haven't been here in almost a year. stay off my account niggers.

Post by scorn »

i've played to crowds of around 500 people where the bass player never had to turn is 500 watt unit all the way up. 1000 really isn't needed, unless it's a really pussy 1000 watts.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

scorn wrote:i've played to crowds of around 500 people where the bass player never had to turn is 500 watt unit all the way up. 1000 really isn't needed, unless it's a really pussy 1000 watts.
yeah, but more is better. I don't want to get a say...500 watt bass rig and spend some money and then have to buy new gear for a new band and spend more money, ya know?
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

its not like a tube guitar amp where the sound is best at loud volume so who cares
EYEpukEcAtshit
Cowboy From Hell

Post by EYEpukEcAtshit »

Carvin 1000 watt head 700$ bullit proof sounds killer everyone loves the tone I have never had to turn it up past 4 and if I did I would prolly be buying some new windows.When I played with Re-Med he played trough two full stacks stereo mesa boogie as loud as you will ever play any where or with any one.and our drummer was a big fuck'n dude with a big double bass settup I those guys would be all"turn down"I can melt guitar players with this rig.But all the folks are right when they say you dont need this much power, the house will allways run you into the PA any way,but I love having more power than I need.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

I have to feel my bass when I play, hearing it is ok, but I enjoy feeling it through the air, if you get what I mean.
Aeon
Oh Alfie...

Post by Aeon »

is a bass amps 300 watts equivalent to 300 watts of tube? or whatever.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

What is the difference between tube heads and the other heads?
scorn
ok

Post by scorn »

there's a type of warmth associated with tubes. you can also get a neat sounding overdrive with tube amps. it can be simulated with effects though.

300 watts is technically 300 watts, but in a solid state amp, you aren't going to want to run the thing full out. there's a nasty thing called sqaure waveforms that can fuck your shit up.
CoercedCoexistence
Lynch Mob

Post by CoercedCoexistence »

Grimlock wrote:Ampeg SVT-4 Pro head and a PR-410HLF Cab..
Real expensive, but I've played through this rig (except with two of those cabinets) and it sounded amazing, very warm and full.
Ampegs are kind of known for a little fuzz in their tone, obviously that can be rectified with EQ, but I personally like the fuzz.

I'm torn between that exact setup myself, or a Mesa M-Pulse 600 and some Schroeder cabinets. (Check out Schroeder if you have never heard of them, they are turning the bass world upside down right now, small packages with huge power handling and great tone.)
that's almost what i play...stv-3 pro head and bse-410hlf cab...love that shit. :tup:
hippy
Twat

Post by hippy »

tube heads are louder. a solid state or all electric that is 1000 watts will not be as loud as 1000 watts tube. i have a mesa dc6 60 watt that is probably louder than some 150 watt digital amps. i've never turned the amp over 3 master volume either. this is for guitar though, couldn't tell ya really on bass

i didnt know there was bass tubes anyways, and i still dont think there is until i see some
scorn
ok

Post by scorn »

hippy wrote:i didnt know there was bass tubes anyways, and i still dont think there is until i see some
i'm not sure if there are any currently in production, but somebody probably makes them. it's mostly a thing of the past.
hektik
baltimore welfare dept.

Post by hektik »

scorn wrote:
hippy wrote:i didnt know there was bass tubes anyways, and i still dont think there is until i see some
i'm not sure if there are any currently in production, but somebody probably makes them. it's mostly a thing of the past.
Ampeg does.
CoercedCoexistence
Lynch Mob

Post by CoercedCoexistence »

hektik wrote:
scorn wrote:
Ampeg does.
word. my svt3-pro has them.