Found this in an old listings mag and wanted to share it...

Leave your thoughts, wishes, memories, art, or anything else here.
NamboD
Creampuff

Found this in an old listings mag and wanted to share it...

Post by NamboD »

Darrell Abbott- In Memoriam

I only met ‘Dimebag’ Darrell Abbott once, backstage at the first UK Ozzfest in 1998 when, intoxicated by ‘the booze’ he mistook me for his own brother and bandmate, Vinny Paul. An event which caused much hilarity in the immediate vicinity at the time and still brings a smile to this writer’s face a la recherché du temps perdu. But what saddens me most about the untimely death of Abbott, shot dead onstage doing the thing he loved most, playing Heavy Metal, is not that that relationship failed to blossom with me eventually taking the vacant vocalist’s spot in Pantera, but that a still relatively young man’s life has been taken for absolutely no reason at all. What the fucking hell goes on in a man’s mind that he feels the need to kill somebody because they ‘broke up his favourite band’? And why then just randomly shoot other loyal fans of the band at the same time? This isn’t the time or place to get into an argument over gun laws- the rights and wrongs of that should be evident to anyone with half a brain, Michael Moore devotee or not, but how can it be that a clearly mentally unstable man can arm himself, walk into a night club, a place of enjoyment and recreation, and end five lives? I don’t know. All I do know is that Darrell Abbott, one of the most influential metal guitarists of all time, the man who gave us ‘Walk’ and ‘A New Level’, is dead. And the world is a poorer, quieter place.
He will be missed.

Scott Adams