Where were you when you heard the news?

Leave your thoughts, wishes, memories, art, or anything else here.
FatRufusFucksYou
Hail Dimebag

Post by FatRufusFucksYou »

I was at work, on break and in the break room. The reporter was talking about it on the television. I just shook my head and finished my morning paper.

Later when I got home from work I grabbed my CD's and put Pantera in, and blasted By Demons Be Driven, the neighbors didn't really appreciate it. They were nigs.
Satanic Jesus
Creampuff

Post by Satanic Jesus »

I was on campus. A guy saud, "Dude, Dimebag Darrell was shot and killed." And I swear to Satan, I was about to punch the guy, thinking it was a joke. Then I went to the computer lab and got on to Damageplan's site and there it was a pic of dime on the front page. Goddamn, I still can't believe that the best guitarist in metal is dead :fur: :no:
abyssspecter
n0ob

Post by abyssspecter »

I was actually in bed. I left my radio on that night, and i woke up around 1:10. i woke to the newslady saying "Dimebag Darrell Abbott has been shot, i repeat, Dimebag has been shot." I thought i was having a nightmare and rolled over. Later i woke, readying for school, and my mom came to my room and said "watch the news...", which isnt typical of my mom to say. Well, they were showing footage of the Alarosa place, and said Dime was dead. I was just in shock for the rst of the day. I remember it was rainy, which i think was Jimi, Randy, and all the other rock gods that passed before him crying, because it totally blew my mind that someone could take away such a kind-hearted guy that was CRUSHING on the guitar. It Shocked me that i couldnt cry, honestly.

I mean, im only 16, but still, Pantera has been one of my biggest metal influences since i started listening to them. I'm always gunna jam with Dimebag, just never in person, and that kills me. but i know that through me playing with my heart, he will live on. I mean, hell, you cant kill a god. And Dime was a god.
mo0sE
Lynch Mob

Post by mo0sE »

i found out when i woke up in the morning, my buddy phil phoned me to tell me he was still coming up to see me from where i used to live and we was gonna go see lamb of god that night in Brighton then proceded to tell me dime was shot on stage last night which i thought was complete bollox, it took me for fucking ever to find out as i dont have a pc at my house and all english radio stations are a bunch of gay, as soon as i found out from my brother later on i was fucking devastated and sparked a phatty for dime, proper gutted, Hail Dimebag :aargh:
If you're reading this, you're stupid
SouthernMan101
Creampuff

Post by SouthernMan101 »

I was just sitting in front of my computer , watchin a movie ... when my telephone rang ...it was my brother ... he just said nothing at first , than in a silent voice " sit down if you stand ... something completly horrible happens ..." i was wondering and my heart began to beat faster .. " i said "what???" then he continued ... i couldn t believe that , i started to cry and got a nearly breakdown ... !! after that , i turned on planet caravan ...and ...just was totally confused , my eyes were full of tears .. !! thats all , i still won ' t believe that!!!

R.I.P Dimebag Darrel
R.I.P DIME (I met you once and won t forget it!!!)...
Crow
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Crow »

i was actually on this forum, i wasnt a member just havin a look through and then someone started a thread bout it, at first no one replying believed it then someone (cant rememeber who) posted and they were actually there, for the next few hours all the stories were filtering in, i ended up fallin asleep in front of the computer (time difference) after about 5 hours. such a wierd experience i just felt really strange, like it was a dream. next day in the news and shit. it even made the local news in my town in australia. goes to show how huge the guy was. that weekend out in town so many ppl wearin black bands and pantera and dime shirts n shit, everone shakin hands. i've never seen it like that where i live before. such a waste.....end rant
allyharp
Creampuff

Post by allyharp »

I was on the bus on my way home from uni. A friend, who didn't know who Dime was, phoned me and mentioned that he'd heard on the radio that a Damageplan and former Pantera member was shot dead. I didn't know if it was Dime of Vinnie but I started texting some friends to break the news and within seconds one of them phoned back to say it was Dime...
hollow68
Cowboy From Hell

Post by hollow68 »

i was at home and i surfing with my tv.suddenly new's hitted right to my face.
i just couldn't belive it....just couldn't.
i rang my brother and he was also very shocked.
i run to the store and i started drink immediatetly lot's of beer and if i recall correctly i was stoned over week.
i was so sad of course dime & pantera but most of all...vinnie.what a horrible scene...watching own brother get shot.
fuck this world!!!
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

Hjs2 wrote:this thread sucks. who gives a shit where people where when they heard.
Obviously the person who started the thread and everyone who answered, phallus face. :fu:
unsw1tchd
Creampuff

Post by unsw1tchd »

i was home n i just woke up... my friend Al called me n was like "dude guess who died" when he said "Dimebag Darrell" i was like WHHHAAAAAAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU FUCKIN SERIOUS!!!!!!!! after that i threw in the video dvd n was practically crying. however a few days l8r (if any1 can remember the article "Concert Killer got Ax as GI" ) Al wrote "i'm a n1gger" on Nathan Gale's 4head.

there...is that fuckin better?!?
Follow the Chronic Stench to awaken me!
Ataxia
Creampuff

Post by Ataxia »

I was at school in the office helping out with something, and I was completely shattered, I had my cd's with me so I was listening to them all day, the secretary made an announcement over the intercom and then I played cfh. I didnt think anyone gave a shit except for like three people, but it actually impacted my entire school.
jenniner
Creampuff

Post by jenniner »

i was asleep and my mom woke me up for school and said some guy from pantera got killed last night at a concert. and i said that cant be true pantera is broke up. i went in the living room and watched the news and there it was FUCKING SOMEONE DONE SHOT THE BEST GUITARIST THERE EVER WAS FUCK NATHAN GALE I AM FUCKIN GLAD HE KILLED HIS FUCKING SELF OR I KNOW SOMEONE WOULD HAVE DONT IT FOR HIM. :fur: keep rockin on guys :fu:
ReJecTed
Creampuff

Post by ReJecTed »

I was at my apartment getting ready for bed (I work early) and I went to check my email and saw a blurb about musician killed in OH shooting or something and I clicked on it and my heart stopped when I saw his name, I couldn't grasp it at frist...I was starring at it and my phone rang and it was a friend asking me if I heard what happened. I couldn't even talk to him, I was in shock. I still remember it vividly...I don't think I'll ever forget. I can't imagine what the people who were there are feeling and poor Vinnie...it's tragic.
DEVILDRIVER
Creampuff

Post by DEVILDRIVER »

I found out the next morning at work some dick head hippie mother fucker told me about it because he knew i'm a huge fan. thinking he could get cool with me, but that shit totally fuck me up man, i was hoping that i would be able to see them again live and that totally ended it for me. Dimebag was such an incredible guitar player and everyone and the band rule in everything they did together. I said this again and again to all those fucking bands out there that wish they had half of what Pantera had, no band out there will fucking play as hard and with so much passion as Pantera did. Fuck all this mother fucking new piss of shit bands, Metal would not had been as it is now if it wasn't for Pantera, shit Metal is Pantera, an ex girl of mines had the guts to fucking say there's other bands out like them or some what like them because the prepie ass, piss of crap works at a radio station. Fuck you and if you get to read this i would say that shit in your fucking face you fat fuck, then again maybe i don't know what I'm talking about. I blast their music in my car all the fucking time because I don't give a shit Pantera will live forever, Dimebag will live forever.
Huge Pantera fan from New Jersey blast their music until my ears bleed every fucking time. I think I'm deaf.
Quas
Creampuff

Post by Quas »

i was at a piza place with to friends of mine and eating and celebrating that we where done with all the eksams befor the new year and having a great time, math eksam was behind us and chrismass was knocking on the door,

so we satt and eat pizza when a good friend of mine called me and said," ehmm martin, ehhm dimbag is dead, that moment was the worst in my life, and wil be the worst in my life as long as i live(hope it wont be so long)

he had just got the news and called me and i diead inside me and almost drew up at the spot, fucking fucking FUCK THAT MOTHER FUCKER THAT KILLED DIMES, he could have taken down my whole family without me caring but he took dimes, fuck.
"Yarr!" the monkey said as he ejaculated apple sauce into the forest of illusions
mindwar
Creampuff

Post by mindwar »

:no:

I came home from my late night college class at about 10pm. I went online quickly just to check emails, various message boards etc..I went onto blabbermouth and there were about 6 or 7 articles with a breaking news development that there was a shooting at the venue..then slowly more details started to come in....And my mind just went blank...Fuck that was so sad...It didn't really sink in until the next day when I got up in the morning to go to work, put the tv on to the local news / morning program, and at the 7am news break i think it was the second headlining story and it wasn't a bad dream like I hoped it would have been..It was real...

It was comforting, for one second though, to see one of the commercial tv stations here playing a clip of "Breathing New Life", even if it was for like 5 or 10 seconds..But the rest of the day, I couldn't concentrate I was so sad...

Even today, sitting here at work listening to "Planet Caravan" off FBD a year later...I still feel sadness thinking about him and when I listen to Pantera's music..

He was a hero man. He was my hero. He didn't do anything or anybody wrong. He loved and enjoyed his life and made the most of it every day. He made so many people happy with his music and guitar playing. He was such a nice and easygoing and friendly man. He didn't deserve to die. what the fuck..

RIP Dime. I was really hoping someday I'd be able to meet him. Now he's gone.

respect.
Bigi
Creampuff

Post by Bigi »

i went in my room and my brother was listening to cowboy from hell and when the song ended he told me that dimebag was dead , it was terrible :no: i could not belive it
Bigi
Creampuff

Post by Bigi »

i went in my room and my brother was listening to cowboy from hell and when the song ended he told me that dimebag was dead , it was terrible :no: i could not belive it
the_winged_beast
Creampuff

Post by the_winged_beast »

i woke up to my sister screaming so i ran in the room and heard,"metal guitarist dimbag darrell was killed last night.He was shot during a concert with his band damage."after that i got down on my hands and knees and started crying my eyes out.
Jericho
Mouth For War

Post by Jericho »

Nothing spectaculur, a friend told me and I was fuckin pissed off
Shred-Dimebag
I will fuck you up

Post by Shred-Dimebag »

i was 11-12 so i really wasnt in to them as much. in french class i just remember saying. what the fuck dude. what the fuck, he was the best.

today i feel worse then i have ever felt in my life. i play my guitar for him, i live to lead the dream he did, and hopefully one day to carry it on.

R.I.P BROTHER DIME. YOU ARE FUCKING MISSED
you know sometimes i wonder..
Nikliss
Creampuff

Post by Nikliss »

I was driving across a busy freeway Hoping to make it to work on time when my car ran out of gas , It was 5:30 in the morning and had but minutes to get to work , I barely made it off the freeway cursing my luck for being late , when you have a morning radio show being late is one of the ultimate no-no's .

I was about to call the station to let then know I was gonna be late , when I got a text message from Jim Jones Circus/Niceboys guitarist Darrell Dolge it said three words "Dime is dead" My initial reaction was one of confusion "What the fuck is he talking about ?" a strange panic hit me and I called him as I walked in the terrible cold , he told me what happened I couldn't believe it , The day before I heard a new Damageplan song that had Jerry Cantrell on it and was stunned by the solo on it , I could not stop thinking about the time I met Dime and Vinnie in Las Vegas , It was When I thought about Vinnie that I started to cry....coldest fucking walk of my life
Eibon
Umeå Hardcore

Post by Eibon »

i really care after 1½ years
som en grop fylld av blinda hundar som äter sin egen avföring. en avgrund där stanken är så tät att man inte kan andas.
Firestorm
Mouth For War

Post by Firestorm »

If you really dont care 1½ year later, why the fuck are you in the dimebag memorial faggot :roll:
lolz
Nikliss
Creampuff

Post by Nikliss »

You care motherfucker don't lie , I don't know what your problem is, but don't even say you don't care about Dime , say that and I'll call you a liar you may have already posted something , mabie even did it a year and a half ago , better late than never I say.
Sean Bateman
Creampuff

Post by Sean Bateman »

I was in college,on a message board.

I actually thought it was a joke.It just couldn't be real.

Bad mood all fucking day after that.

RIP Dime.
A great numb feeling washes over me as I let go of the past and look forward to the future. Pretend to be a vampire. I don't really need to pretend, because it's who I am, an emotional vampire.
richard
Lynch Mob

Post by richard »

Sean Bateman wrote:I was in college, on a message board. I actually thought it was a joke. It just couldn't be real. Bad mood all fucking day after that.
did you play the cavemens in the geico commercial?
ichiro suzuki #1
visi0nX
Creampuff

Post by visi0nX »

I had just woken up and went straight to my computer and saw i had an IM. Friend said "DiME IS DEAD" and at first i didn't know what the fuck to think, i kinda just sat there... then i scrambled on the internet and found it in a matter of seconds... So fucking terrible.

I can say that, that day was the most i ever enjoyed pantera. I opened my window and my stereo is right next to it, full blasted the mother fucker and played pantera for HOURS on end, im sure everyone on my street heard it thats for sure.
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

i was on this board the very night when someone made a thread about what he seen on local news. i thought it was bullshit
... You're killing me, Smalls.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

Dime Will Never Ever Fucking Die . Fuck Nathan Gale
Suck me
Roz
Magically Seditious

Post by Roz »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:Dime Will Never Ever Fucking Die .
making bold declarative statements such as this without thorough research could damage your credibility!

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote: Fuck Nathan Gale
uh, ewwww? :x
M.I.A
6000 chicken fijitas

Post by M.I.A »

PhilCore wrote:
7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote: Fuck Nathan Gale
uh, ewwww? :x
:lol: :lol:
[quote="Aeon"]I don't remember making this thread. Fuck, I don't even like Down. :lol:[/quote]
Inked and Scarred
Creampuff

Post by Inked and Scarred »

I was driving to work at 6 am and my friend calls me on my cell.He asked me if I'd heard on the news about Dime.Told him no,and he proceeded to tell me Dime had gotten shot in Columbus the night before.I didn't believe him till I turned on the radio and heard it for myself.I was in a state of shock. :shock:
Cornholious Boonester
Hail Dimebag

Post by Cornholious Boonester »

richard wrote:
Sean Bateman wrote:I was in college, on a message board. I actually thought it was a joke. It just couldn't be real. Bad mood all fucking day after that.
did you play the cavemens in the geico commercial?
:lol:
[quote="A.C. Slater"][color=violet]punches the absolute fucking shit out of the locker[/color][/quote]
mlj2298
Creampuff

Re: Where were you when you heard the news?

Post by mlj2298 »

I heard the news the next day on the radio and I immediately called my brother. We both grew up in Arlington and my brother always tells the story about how he delivered pizza to Pantera. There will never be another guitarist like Dime. I wish I could say I have been listening to Pantera all along, but I can't. However the power of Dime and Darryl's music is very inspiring. Loved Damageplan. I know Dime's up there rockin out in heaven with all the other fallen rock gods. Here's to you Dime.....may you rest in peace.
revolution300
Creampuff

Post by revolution300 »

I was actually going to go to that show but I live up near Cleveland and it was all the way in Columbus. This is the first time I'll say thank god I didn't go. It was almost midnight and I got a call from my friend who went who told me "Dimebag's dead" and I think I jumped out of bed about 10 feet. He said that a psycho was shootin the place up and he ran out and waited in the parking lot with some others to wait for cops. Then 2 minutes later on the radio the DJs came on and started talking about it. I was only 14 back then but I loved Pantera

The next day I listened to CFH, VDOP, and FBD (those were the only Pantera albums I had at the time) and played my guitar

RIP DIME
It's time to change
It can't stay the same
Revolution is my name
sharkycharger
Creampuff

Post by sharkycharger »

I was slaving away on a final project throughout the night and into the early morning hours when i found out what had happened. The news reports via the radio were spotty at first, and I was listening to background chatter at the time (NPR), and the entire situation was surreal. I was so self-absorbed in my project that I didn't actually realize the gravity of the situation until about 5 A.M. I heard mention of "Damage Plan" but didn't put 2 + 2 together. I knew there had been a shooting, that there were fatalities, but the fact that Dime was gone didn't set in until i hit the studio at about 7 A.M. My drive down was consumed by C.D.'s, so there was no outside contact, until one of my classmates cornered me once i arrived at the studio. At that point, everything went into slow-motion. Sleep-deprived, stunned, and exhausted, I just went and sat in the stairwell, and tried to make sense. In order (as far as I can recollect), I hyperventilated, cried, punched the cinderblock wall, sat back down, and of all things, laughed at my situation. Why? Because I knew that if Dime could have seen me in that stupid state, he would have offered up a beer, joke, or black-toothed grin, and told me not to sweat it. He's better now, and ultimately, we're all better for having such a unique, gifted character in our lives.
Hilroy
Creampuff

Post by Hilroy »

I went to school and a kid came up to me and was like "you like Pantera right? Dimebag was shot and killed yesterday." i thought she was full of shit. i said "quit fuckin makin shit up ya fuckin retard!" turns out she was right.
to this day when i get drunk i clame that dimebag isnt dead, he's just in Texas hiding out.
Eyemaster
Far Beyond Driven

Post by Eyemaster »

Hilroy wrote:to this day when i get drunk i clame that dimebag isnt dead, he's just in Texas hiding out.
that's fucking dumb :tdown:
i love you
juhis
Creampuff

Post by juhis »

I was in a coach heading to Stockholm airport when one friend of mine called me. "Can you fucking imagine what has happened?" "Dimebag was murdered!" I flew back to Finland on the same day. I was sitting in a taxi driving back to home when a local radio station mentioned the same news and played Damageplan`s Pride. Fuck, man. I`ll remember that day forever.
RIP Dimebag