Projects in the Jungle heavier than Power Metal?

Talk about anything Pantera related....
GoddamnElectric
Far Beyond Driven

Projects in the Jungle heavier than Power Metal?

Post by GoddamnElectric »

Hey guys, what do you think?

It's been written a hundred times about how Pantera went on this clear-cut progression from a total glam band into a heavier band... but it doesn't sound so clear cut to me at all. Power Metal to me doesn't sound much like Cowboys From hell, it sounds pretty straight-up Def Leppard. Whereas Projects in the Jungle sounds rawer and more Van Halen-esque, definetly heavier to my ears.
“These children that come at you with knives, they are your children. You taught them. I didn't teach them. I just tried to help them stand up.” - Charlie Manson
charlie
formerly known as threak

Post by charlie »

GRIM
seriousheavymetaller
Vulgar Bastard

Re: Projects in the Jungle heavier than Power Metal?

Post by seriousheavymetaller »

GoddamnElectric wrote:Hey guys, what do you think?

It's been written a hundred times about how Pantera went on this clear-cut progression from a total glam band into a heavier band... but it doesn't sound so clear cut to me at all. Power Metal to me doesn't sound much like Cowboys From hell, it sounds pretty straight-up Def Leppard. Whereas Projects in the Jungle sounds rawer and more Van Halen-esque, definetly heavier to my ears.
I agree that the band's transition from glamish heavy metal to groove/thrash wasn't natural, I think they just decided there was no future in continuing down the same musical path around '87- someone mentioned a quote from a band meeting- 'These magic clothes don't play the music, we do'- the decision to tone the image down to t-shirts, jeans and let the music do the talking was significant.

Back to your main point, Projects to my ear actually has a much stronger production than Power Metal, much chunkier whereas Power Metal is a little too thin. I have to disagree with your Def Leppard comparison- stylistically, Projects is very close to High 'N Dry era Leppard. It could be considered heavy metal and there are some early Anthrax-esque speed metal cuts, most notably the title track.
However, a few tracks drift into the realm of AOR, In over My Head (which sounds similar to early Bon-Jovi) Only a Heartbeat away, and Takin' My life. This is not the case on Power Metal.

Unlike Projects, Power Metal does contain some thrash- Over and Out, Death Trap (as heavy as any cut from CFH!) and at a push the title track (listen to those heavy riffs towards the end.) Heavy cuts such as Down Below (packs much more of a punch than the '85 original) and the out and out metal anthem Proud To Be Loud make for some of the heaviest traditional metal imaginable. The metal ballad We'll Meet again can be seen as the embryo that formed Cemetary Gates and shows some very strong songwriting and a flawless sense of melody there's very little resemblance to any of Leppard's work here.
Hard Ride sounds like Queensryche at their very best (heavy metal through and through.) :tup:

If you listen to CFH and PM side by side, you can definately tell it's the same band. I would liken it to Priest's transition from Ram it Down to Painkiller. (The same era too.) RID had the basics of Painkiller in place yet still contained the odd trace of pop-metal from the much maligned Turbo era, these attributes would be ironed out of the band's sound before they unleashed Painkiller on the world, like an imperial tonne of British Steel.

Over and Out,

seriousheavymetaller
Are you ready?
Are you ready?
Are you ready to rock?
I've got the loudest
Stereo on the block!
Bren
Grim

Post by Bren »

this thread should really be called "virgin faggots talk about bullshit because they're too scared of the real world"

:zzz: x 100000000000
HeavyMetalZombie666 wrote:I am the fucking anti-christ and you will bow down to me.
Henkka
I will fuck you up

Post by Henkka »

Guess what dipshit, I don't give a fuck. Pantera still rules.
[quote="hektik"]"I viewed this whole topic with my husband :lol: "
I wonder if they made voices for each username. :fu:[/quote]
GoddamnElectric
Far Beyond Driven

Post by GoddamnElectric »

Ha, kids are so cute. "How dare ya'll talks 'bout Pantera on a Pantera board! MUTHERFUCKERS!" I've probably done more in my life than you have.
“These children that come at you with knives, they are your children. You taught them. I didn't teach them. I just tried to help them stand up.” - Charlie Manson
summers_eve
Lynch Mob

Re: Projects in the Jungle heavier than Power Metal?

Post by summers_eve »

seriousheavymetaller wrote:
GoddamnElectric wrote:Hey guys, what do you think?

I agree that the band's transition from glamish heavy metal to groove/thrash wasn't natural, I think they just decided there was no future in continuing down the same musical path around '87- someone mentioned a quote from a band meeting- 'These magic clothes don't play the music, we do'- the decision to tone the image down to t-shirts, jeans and let the music do the talking was significant.

Back to your main point, Projects to my ear actually has a much stronger production than Power Metal, much chunkier whereas Power Metal is a little too thin. I have to disagree with your Def Leppard comparison- stylistically, Projects is very close to High 'N Dry era Leppard. It could be considered heavy metal and there are some early Anthrax-esque speed metal cuts, most notably the title track.
However, a few tracks drift into the realm of AOR, In over My Head (which sounds similar to early Bon-Jovi) Only a Heartbeat away, and Takin' My life. This is not the case on Power Metal.

Unlike Projects, Power Metal does contain some thrash- Over and Out, Death Trap (as heavy as any cut from CFH!) and at a push the title track (listen to those heavy riffs towards the end.) Heavy cuts such as Down Below (packs much more of a punch than the '85 original) and the out and out metal anthem Proud To Be Loud make for some of the heaviest traditional metal imaginable. The metal ballad We'll Meet again can be seen as the embryo that formed Cemetary Gates and shows some very strong songwriting and a flawless sense of melody there's very little resemblance to any of Leppard's work here.
Hard Ride sounds like Queensryche at their very best (heavy metal through and through.) :tup:

If you listen to CFH and PM side by side, you can definately tell it's the same band. I would liken it to Priest's transition from Ram it Down to Painkiller. (The same era too.) RID had the basics of Painkiller in place yet still contained the odd trace of pop-metal from the much maligned Turbo era, these attributes would be ironed out of the band's sound before they unleashed Painkiller on the world, like an imperial tonne of British Steel.

Over and Out,

seriousheavymetaller
For the love of fuck. :lol: :lol:
[quote="seriousheavymetaller"]Yes, I'm currently finishing my Master's degree in Creative Writing. :tup: [/quote]
PD
I'm just a...

Post by PD »

Without question Power Metal is heavier and tends to be one of my favorite albums to date. Projects is a solid album, a great album, but it's got a few more slower ballad-esque songs than PM does.
[b]PanterA Disciple[/b]
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

PD wrote:Without question Power Metal is heavier and tends to be one of my favorite albums to date. Projects is a solid album, a great album, but it's got a few more slower ballad-esque songs than PM does.
Everyone stopped giving a shit March 10th.
Getcha Hate!
PD
I'm just a...

Post by PD »

walking_ash wrote:
PD wrote:Without question Power Metal is heavier and tends to be one of my favorite albums to date. Projects is a solid album, a great album, but it's got a few more slower ballad-esque songs than PM does.
You obviously care.
[b]PanterA Disciple[/b]
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

PD wrote:
walking_ash wrote:
You obviously care.
How many more of you fucking losers have a "dual persona" on this fucking board? You know what's more fun? Discovering what electricity tastes like.
Getcha Hate!
mr.schneebly's_friend
Creampuff

Post by mr.schneebly's_friend »

I guess Power Metal is havier the Projects. From this album guys have take the course to heavy metal, and then it becomes groove from Cowboys from Hell.

As for me I've started to listen Pantera exactly fror Power Metal... And still I fucking love it (also like glam metal Pantera) :)
I search for mr.schneebly from USA, from www.DarkLyrics.com. He is my good friend. If anyone knows him, please contact me! Man, I very miss you!....
mr.schneebly's_friend
Creampuff

Post by mr.schneebly's_friend »

walking_crap

for real fucking loser is you, so shut ur fucking mouth
I search for mr.schneebly from USA, from www.DarkLyrics.com. He is my good friend. If anyone knows him, please contact me! Man, I very miss you!....
-Will-
I will fuck you up

Post by -Will- »

mr.schneebly's_friend wrote:for real fucking loser is you
[quote="Garlic"]I really do enhance meals.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]People have said I look like Stewart Stevenson on Beavis and Butthead[/quote]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHD4bcZWZdc
Cheyenne fucking Buffet
I am cool

Post by Cheyenne fucking Buffet »

mr.schneebly's_friend wrote:I search for mr.schneebly from USA, from www.DarkLyrics.com. He is my good friend. If anyone knows him, please contact me! Man, I very miss you!....
:lll: :lll: :lll: :lll: :lll:
IPlayTheIrishFlute wrote:I often stick my cock in my flute then ejaculate and blow the cum out of it into your mother's face.
walking_ash
Lynch Mob

Post by walking_ash »

mr.schneebly's_friend wrote:walking_crap

for real fucking loser is you, so shut ur fucking mouth
This type of shit right here is exactly why mr.schneebly left your ass. I suggest you straighten up and fly right, you may prove yourself worthy of his companionship yet.
Getcha Hate!